Monday, July 21, 2008

Confident?


So how confident are you? Do you question yourself daily? From time to time we have all questioned something that we are doing or attempting to do. I remember right before I stood in front of 330 kids at Childress High School as their new Principal I asked myself,"Am I ready for this." One sure thing is that you can't fool kids. They will sniff you out quick. I had to present Toby Tucker and the PRIDE Program to them in a confident way. Thankfully the kids along with the teachers bought in to what we were doing and we had two great years.

So what about you? How is your confidence? Take two minutes to look at this short chart. Be honest with yourself about your answers and see where your confidence level is.

Self-Confident

Low Self-Confidence

Doing what you believe to be right, even if others mock or criticize you for it.

Governing your behavior based on what other people think.

Being willing to take risks and go the extra mile to achieve better things.

Staying in your comfort zone, fearing failure and so avoid taking risks.

Admitting your mistakes and vowing to learn from them.

Working hard to cover up mistakes and praying that you can fix the problem before anyone is the wiser.

Waiting for others to congratulate you on your accomplishments.

Extolling your own virtues as often as possible to as many people as possible.

Accepting compliments graciously. “Thanks, I really worked hard on that prospectus. I’m pleased you recognize my efforts.”

Dismissing compliments offhandedly. “Oh that prospectus was nothing really, anyone could have done it.”

Take care and have a confident day!

No comments: